Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
What happened? An initial large explosion in the port area of Beirut took place around 6:00 pm (1500 GMT), resulting in a fire, several small blasts and then a colossal explosion that flattened the harbor front and surrounding buildings.Seismologists measured the event, which blew out windows at the city’s international airport nine kilometers (more than five miles) away, as the equivalent of a 3.3-magnitude earthquake.Video stills show an intense blazing fireball rising above a line of massive storage silos, then a billowing cloud towering into the sky as a powerful shockwave rips through Lebanon’s biggest city. The mega-blast that tore through Lebanon’s capital with the force of an earthquake, killing more than 100 people and injuring over 4,000, resulted from the ignition of a huge depot of ammonium nitrate at Beirut’s port, officials say, but many questions remain. Here is what we know so far. How many casualties? The blasts killed more than 100 people and injured over 4,000, the Lebanese Red Cross said Wednesday, in the latest updated toll.Search and rescue teams were still sifting through areas surrounding the port, it added, with rubble from flattened buildings spread across a wide area. Injuries were recorded right across the city, with glass blown out of buildings in multiple districts. Was it deliberate? There has been no indication from Lebanese officials that the explosions were caused deliberately.US President Donald Trump said late Tuesday that US generals had told him the explosions appeared to have been caused by a “bomb of some kind.””It looks like a terrible attack,” Trump said. But a Pentagon spokesman, when asked about the president’s remarks, told AFP that “we don’t have anything for you” and “you will have to reach out to the White House for clarification.”Diab’s government described the circumstances at the port that led to the explosion as “unacceptable” and vowed to investigate. Why such a big blast?Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab said 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate, an agricultural fertilizer, stored in a portside warehouse had blown up, sparking “a disaster in every sense of the word”.Ammonium nitrate is an odorless crystalline substance that has been the cause of numerous industrial explosions over the decades. When combined with fuel oils, it creates a potent explosive widely used in the construction industry, but also by insurgent groups such as the Taliban for improvised explosive devices.Lebanon’s General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim said the material had been confiscated years earlier and stored in the warehouse, located close to Beirut’s shopping and nightlife districts. What happens next? Lebanon’s national defense council has declared Beirut a disaster zone and Diab has appealed to Lebanon’s allies to “stand by” the country and send aid.President Michel Aoun has announced he will release 100 billion lira ($66 million, 55 million euros) of emergency funds.But the country is in the middle of an enormous economic crisis and its hospitals are already overwhelmed by the coronavirus pandemic.The US, France, Qatar, Iran and even Lebanon’s arch foe Israel have offered to send aid. Topics :
Spain’s Madrid region on Wednesday requested urgent help to hire hundreds of foreign doctors and reinforce police as they registered 1,290 new coronavirus infections and considered extending a partial lockdown to more areas.Representing over a quarter of Spain’s 4,143 new cases in the past 24 hours, the capital region has been hardest hit by a second wave of COVID-19, with the number of daily deaths and infections soaring to levels not seen since May.Madrid has already restricted movement between and within some districts where about 850,000 people live since midnight on Monday. Topics : Ignacio Aguado, deputy head of the regional government, told reporters the region needed 300 doctors from outside the European Union who had worked in the first wave of the pandemic, but could not hire them immediately due to complex regulations.He also asked the central government for an additional 222 national police officers to enforce quarantines and fines in districts now back under partial lockdown.On Monday, Madrid authorities asked the central government for help from the army to fight the coronavirus surge in and around the Spanish capital, where the partial closure of some poorer areas has provoked protests.”We’ve decided to formally request logistical help from the military to install [hospital] tents, carry out tests and disinfection tasks in each of the areas under restrictions,” Aguado said on Wednesday. Residents in the mostly lower-income neighborhoods where infection rates are highest say the measures are inefficient and unfair.”The battle against the virus is not in confining, it is in primary healthcare, where we can test for the positive and negative so we can confine [just] the people who are truly infected,” said retiree Nieves Marcos from the Usera district, one of those under partial lockdown.Regional health data showed on Tuesday the number of areas with COVID-19 contagion rates exceeding 1,000 per 100,000 people had increased by nearly 50% to 53.Officials said restrictions could be widened after a review this week and have not ruled out more far-reaching measures.Madrid has accounted for about a third of all coronavirus cases in Spain and has the highest share of hospital capacity occupied by COVID-19 patients.Spain’s cumulative number of confirmed coronavirus infections has spiked since the end of a nationwide lockdown in late June and now stands at 682,267 – the highest in Western Europe. More than 30,900 people have died of COVID-19.
There’s one key ingredient missing to fuel property price rises in Brisbane according to a CoreLogic analyst. Pic Darren England.Apart from employment opportunities, Brisbane had all the right fundamentals to be Australia’s next big property market, according to CoreLogic head of research, Cameron Kusher.Mr Kusher said Brisbane’s future gains were absolutely hinged to jobs growth.“I think that’s still the big drag on Brisbane,” Me Kusher said.“We’ve been thinking for a number of years that Brisbane is the next market to take off, and certainly other have as well, but I think the big missing ingredient ultimately has been that strength in the jobs market,” he said.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home2 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor2 hours agoVideo Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:47Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:47 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenMonthly Core Index – July00:47CoreLogic released their Hedonic Home Value Index, July 2017 which revealed Brisbane’s median house price of $490,000 was a drop of 0.7 per cent for the three months to the end of July.The city had seen just 2.2 per cent price growth over the past 12 months.In relation to investors, Mr Kusher said even the attraction of Brisbane housing’s 4.1 per cent gross rental yield compared to Sydney’s 2.7 per cent, hadn’t been enough to bring buyers north.“Investors still seem to have a focus on capital growth, so you’d need Sydney and Melbourne to slow more to attract investors to Brisbane,” he said.“The other challenge is investors tend to like units and I think everyone is pretty aware that there’s some concerns in the unit market in Brisbane at the moment of a potential oversupply, so that might hold it back as well,” Mr Kusher said.
The UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) should take into account the role of trustees as it conducts its asset management review, according to the chief executive of HSBC’s pension fund.Speaking at the IPE Conference in Berlin today, Elizabeth Renshaw-Ames welcomed the regulator’s recent wide-ranging review of the asset management sector but called for real solutions for pension-scheme governance challenges when the FCA completes its work next year.Renshaw-Ames said: “My personal belief is that good governance of pension schemes will deliver better outcomes for members. The UK occupational pension system is fraught with challenges, many of which arise out of an increase of lay people as members of trustee boards.”Such trustees – typically employee or pensioner members – have ultimate responsibility for the governance of pension schemes, including some legal responsibilities. For smaller pensions without internal expertise, they will often make asset allocation and manager selection decisions with the aid of consultants.The lack of support for many trustees means “the asset management industry that services these clients is therefore a relative beneficiary of some of these governance challenges”, Renshaw-Ames argued.She called for regulators to “grasp the nettle and come up with solutions to improve governance of schemes” to help trustees hold asset managers to account.The FCA’s interim review, published earlier this month, proposed consolidation among UK pension funds to increase their resources and access benefits of scale.The regulator also highlighted governance shortfalls within asset management companies, which meant investors found it difficult to judge value for money.It also criticised a lack of transparency and competition among investment consultants.
Flex LNG, the company controlled by billionaire John Fredriksen and an emerging player in the LNG shipping business, reported a net profit of $1.3 million for the fourth quarter of 2017. This compares to a net loss of $0.02 million in the corresponding quarter last year, Flex LNG noted in its report. The company’s net loss for the twelve months of 2017 widened to $10.4 million from a net loss of $1.8 million in the previous year.The results for the quarter were positively impacted by charter extensions of its two vessels from September 2017 through the end of the first quarter of 2018Speaking of the results, Jonathan Cook, Flex LNG’s CEO, said the company’s two of it chartered-in vessels were employed in profitable charters throughout the quarter.“In January, we successfully took delivery of the first two of our six newbuildings and secured a 15 to 18-month time charter for one of the vessels in line with our strategy to secure balanced fleet employment as the market continues to improve due to expected tighter supply/demand dynamics in the LNGC market,” Cook said.Flex LNG’s delivered vessels were built by the South Korean shipbuilder Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME), and the company has further two LNG carriers under construction at Samsung Heavy Industries and are scheduled to be delivered to the company in the second and third quarters of 2018. It also expects to take delivery of two additional LNG carriers in the second and third quarter of 2019.The company said it will continue to evaluate opportunities to charter in third-party LNGCs to the extent that they will provide a positive contribution to earnings, although Flex LNG’s primary commercial focus is to secure attractive employment for its newbuildings.The LNG shipping market continued to tighten throughout the fourth quarter, the company noted in its report. Seasonality and its winter peak once again brought a boost in demand for LNG shipping. The arbitrage window between European and Asian LNG prices stayed open and increased demand for spot vessels loading out of European ports.Flex LNG expects the coming growth of LNG production and the expected growth in demand for natural gas in combination with the recent limited ordering activity of LNG carriers to gradually tighten the shipping market over the course of the next 12 months.The company will continue to take a proactive approach and explore further accretive transactions.
Mike Tyson was overwhelmed with joy and excitement as Tyson Fury shocked the world to become WBC heavyweight champion with a hugely dominant display.Mike Tyson was overwhelmed with joy and excitement as Tyson Fury shocked the world to become WBC heavyweight champion with a hugely dominant display. Wilder has said on more than one occasion that he would beat a prime Mike Tyson, the late 80s version who destroyed everyone in his way, recently doubling down on his thought and saying, “My hand speed, I’m too long, I’m too tall, my athleticism, my feet work, all that gives me an advantage, it plays a big part. “No disrespect to Mike Tyson, in his era he was the best but this is a new era. Read Also:Boxing: Hearn confirms Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury next “No old-school fighter should beat a new-school fighter. Look at the technology we have. “Nobody has a natural killer instinct as I do, ain’t anybody could ever knock me out. I’m very confident in what I say and I speak what I do.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Another said, “He saw himself for a split second in that ring and was like “THE HEIR APPARENT”” Fury battered Deontay Wilder on Saturday night, from the opening bell until one minute and 39 seconds into the seventh round, when Wilder’s corner threw in the towel, to beat the Bronze Bomber. After the fight, legendary heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, who had earlier been honoured in the ring, was spotted celebrating the victory. Fans loved the moment with one saying, “This expresses all sorts of emotions for me! Considering that Tyson Fury was named after Mike Tyson and Deontay Wilder calls himself ‘the baddest man on the planet’ which was once the accolade of Mike Tyson.” Another fan added, “Real recognise Real!” Whilst the 53-year-old former two-time world champion might have just been really excited about the performance of the Fury there may have been a bit more behind ‘Iron Mike’s’ celebration too. Loading… Promoted ContentWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?A Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsThe Best Cars Of All Time11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made6 Most Breathtaking Bridges In The World14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now7 Mind-Boggling Facts About Black Holes7 Theories About The Death Of Our UniverseThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldThe World’s 7 Most Spectacular Railway Stations
Gonzales and Fiscal were nabbed after they sold suspected marijuana to an undercover officer around 12:30 a.m. on July 14, it added. The suspects were detained in the lockup cell of the Barotac Nuevo municipal police station. Antidrug personnel conducts inventory of items seized from Rochlem Anthony Gonzales and Rowin Fiscal, who were nabbed in an entrapment operation in Barangay Ilaud Poblacion, Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo on July 14. PDEA REGIONAL OFFICE VI FB The 19-year-old Rochlem Anthony Gonzales and 21-year-old Rowin Fiscal yielded the suspected illegal drugs, a police report showed. ILOILO City – Suspected marijuana weighing about 10 grams was seized in a buy-bust operation in Barangay Ilaud Poblacion, Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo. Charge for violation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 will be filed against them. (With a report from PDEA-6/PN)
Indianapolis, In. — Summertime has become an increasingly popular season for weddings, and the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) wants to help Hoosier newlyweds as they embark on wedded bliss to avoid the headache of tax issues.From name changes to filing status, DOR has several tips for 2018 newlyweds to be ready for next tax season and to ensure refunds are not delayed:1.) Name changes: If a customer changes their name as a result of marriage, the first step is to report this change to the Social Security Administration (SSA). Since tax returns are filed under an individual’s Social Security number (SSN), it is important to complete the name change process before filing a tax return. The name on the tax return must match the SSN to ensure any potential refund goes to the correct person. More information can be found online at www.SSA.gov.2.) Change withholding status: Newly married individuals may need to update their federal W-4 and state WH-4 forms to reflect additional exemptions or change their higher standard deduction. By claiming an additional allowance or changing the withholding status to married, fewer taxes may be withheld from their pay.3.) Update address: If marriage results in a change of address, be sure to update the address on file with DOR. DOR offers several methods for customers to update their address, including in-person, by fax or mail. By updating the address, customers can ensure they will receive important information from DOR on time, which may include a refund check. Details can be found on DOR’s website at www.in.gov/dor/4706.htm.4.) Evaluate tax filing status: Once an individual is married, the filing status on their tax return must be either: married filing jointly or married filing separately. Often, the option married filing jointly provides the most beneficial tax outcome for most couples, due to the available credits and deductions. However, all couples should explore both options to determine what works best.Changing filing status may also change an individual’s tax bracket, so the income might be taxed at a different rate. If a married couple chooses to file a joint return, their income is now combined which may result in one or both individuals being in a higher tax bracket.Remember, even if the wedding date is December 30, 2018, a couple is still considered married for the 2018 tax year.
Brookville, In. — Sanitation routes in the town of Brookville move back one day due to holiday schedules. The periods affected are December 26 & 27 and January 2 & 3.