We let Barcelona off lightly in the first half, says Lucas Vazquez

first_img Reuters BarcelonaFebruary 7, 2019UPDATED: February 7, 2019 09:45 IST Real Madrid had the better of the first half against Barcelona (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSBarcelona and Real Madrid played out a 1-1 draw in the Copa del Rey semi-final first legReal Madrid’s Lucas Vazquez scored in the 6th minute before Malcom equalised after the breakSantiago Solari was pleased with his team’s performance and thought they might have snatched a victorySantiago Solari marked his 100th day in charge of Real Madrid with a 1-1 draw at Barcelona in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday, 101 days after his predecessor’s reign ended with a 5-1 thrashing to the Catalans.Julen Lopetegui’s short-lived spell in charge was brought to an end in October with a humiliating capitulation to Barca and Solari was appointed the next day on an interim basis.He took the role full time a fortnight later and has since helped to drag the European champions out of crisis.The Argentine coach has made some brave decisions, like dropping playmaker Isco to the bench and installing Vinicius Junior as a regular on the left flank, and it has reinvigorated a side which was sinking rapidly.Madrid had the better of the first half against Barcelona on Wednesday, breaking the deadlock through Lucas Vazquez, before Malcom equalised after the break.Gareth Bale missed a good chance in the final stages and Gerard Pique blocked Toni Kroos’s goal-bound shot.”The result is unfair, we did more in attack to win the game,” said Vazquez. “Maybe we did let Barcelona off lightly in the first half.”We made clear chances, we didn’t know how to put them away and ended up drawing.”The draw leaves the tie open and the second leg will be very tough and well fought. What we want is to win the game at the Santiago Bernabeu, in front of our fans.”Vazquez is another of the players that Solari has relied upon and did not start against Barcelona in the 5-1 defeat.advertisementSolari was pleased with his team’s performance and thought they might have snatched a victory.”It’s hard to talk about justice in football,” said Solari. “We had chances to score, in the first and second half, but what will stick with me is that it was a precise game, very entertaining.”After their last Clasico was traumatic, Wednesday’s performance was a distinct improvement and shows just how far Madrid have come in a little over three months.Also Watch:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byJepher Nickels Tags :Follow Lucas Vazquez We let Barcelona off lightly in the first half, says Lucas VazquezReal Madrid Madrid had the better of the first half against Barcelona in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg on Wednesday, breaking the deadlock through Lucas Vazquez, before Malcom equalised after the break.advertisement Nextlast_img read more

September Tourism Stats Available

first_imgTwo per cent more visitors came to Nova Scotia and room nights sold were up eight per cent in September compared to the same month last year. The number of tourists so far this year is still on par with 2005 at about 1.7 million. All regions reported increases in room nights sold, from four per cent in the Halifax region to 19 per cent on the Eastern Shore. “We’re pleased to see an increase in visitors in September and we’ll continue to monitor the industry’s performance,” said Tourism, Culture and Heritage Minister Len Goucher. “Planning with our industry partners for next year is well underway and we’re taking into account all the factors affecting the competitive global tourism industry.” Two per cent fewer visitors came by air and four per cent more came by road in September. More Canadians visited Nova Scotia in September 2006 than in September 2005. There was a seven per cent increase in visitors from Atlantic Canada, 12 per cent increase from Quebec and 27 per cent increase from Western Canada. There were three per cent fewer visitors from Ontario. Following the national trend, visitation was down 13 per cent from the United States and down by 11 per cent from overseas in September compared to the same month last year. Nova Scotia’s comprehensive system for reporting tourism statistics includes counting overnight visitors — while excluding Nova Scotia residents — at all entry points to the province, and gathering the number of room nights sold from all licensed accommodation operators around the province. Detailed tourism statistics can be found on the Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage website at www.gov.ns.ca/dtc/pubs/insights .last_img read more