Washington: There is a possibility of including Huawei in the ongoing trade deal with China, US President Donald Trump has said, days after signing an executive order that effectively barred the Chinese telecom giant from the American market. Shenzhen-headquartered Huawei, a rapidly expanding leader in 5G technology, buys about USD 67 billion worth of components each year, including about USD 11 billion from the US suppliers, according to estimates. Also Read – ‘Hong Kong won’t rule out Chinese help over protests’ The world’s two largest economies are locked in a trade war since Trump imposed heavy tariffs on imported steel and aluminium items from China in March last year. In response, China imposed tit-for-tat tariffs on billions of dollars worth of American imports. Escalating the trade tension, Trump signed an executive order on May 15 barring American companies from installing the foreign-made telecom equipment posing a national security threat, a move apparently aimed at banning Huawei from US networks. Also Read – Pak Army chief accompanies Imran at key meetings in China “There’s a possibility (of including Huawei in the trade deal). I think probably a good possibility,” Trump told reporters at the White House responding to a question on the status of negotiations with China and Huawei. The United States is “very concerned” about Huawei from a security standpoint, he said. “I don’t know how China can do this because I’ll be honest, we are getting hundreds of millions of dollars brought into our country. We’ve never gotten USD 0.10. We are getting hundreds of billions of dollars coming into our country,” he said. On Thursday, Trump announced that he has directed his Agriculture Secretary to provide USD 16 billion in assistance to America’s farmers and ranchers. “It all comes from China,” he said. “We will be taking in, over a period of time, hundreds of billions of dollars in tariffs and charges to China and our farmers will be greatly helped. We want to get them back to the point where they would have had if they had a good year. This support for farmers will be paid for by the billions of dollars our treasury takes in,” he said. Months of negotiations on a trade deal broke recently after China, the US alleged, went back on its commitment. “Not so long ago during the time of our negotiation and China broke the deal with us… that’s fine but during that time of negotiation if everyone remembers we had periods where China would target our farms, right? They would actually target. “They took an ad in a newspaper from Iowa, a big ad, said lots of bad things about the administration, about the fact that we are negotiating to tough, we are not going to make a deal. But they steal intellectual property by the billions. Somebody estimated it at USD 300 billion,” he alleged. Trump said he cannot let that happen. The US economy is booming, the country is prospering and now is the time to insist on fair and reciprocal trade for US workers and farmers, he said. At the same time, he remained hopeful that the trade deal with China could happen soon. “If it happens, great. If it doesn’t happen that’s fine. That’s absolutely fine. And I look forward — I will be seeing President Xi at the G20 very shortly,” he said. “In the meantime and may be for a long time I appreciate the incredible bipartisan support that my administration has had on trade and trade policy especially as it pertains to placing very massive tariffs on China,” he said adding that these tariffs are paid for largely by China. “China subsidises a lot of businesses and China came out and in subsidising the business they pay for a big portion of that tax. But right now a lot of companies are moving out of China because of the tax. They are moving to nontariff countries. So it’s a bad thing for China. We don’t want that but that’s just the way it works out,” Trump said. Trump has been demanding that China reduce the massive trade deficit which last year climbed to over USD 539 billion. He is also pressing for verifiable measures for protection of intellectual property rights (IPR), technology transfer and more access to American goods to Chinese markets.
Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. A holidaymaker from Qatar is facing jail after he was convicted of molesting a teenage girl during a seven-hour flight to Britain – while his wife sat beside him.Suman Das, 46, was arrested at Manchester Airport after the 18-year-old victim claimed he touched her between her legs while she was dozing in her seat.She said she woke up to feel a “rubbing sensation” and fled to the back of the plane in tears. At the time of the assault Das’ wife Sonia was sat beside him unaware of her husband’s behaviour.He initially claimed he must have touched her by accident while fidgeting in his seat and offered to apologise – but he later said he could not have carried out an assault as he was asleep.At Manchester magistrates court Das, who has been staying with friends in Bolton since his arrest, was convicted of sexual assault after a trial. He denied the charge.The incident occurred in July five hours into the flight from Doha to Manchester. Das and his wife were visiting the UK for a “holiday of a lifetime”. The unnamed girl was returning to Britain after spending two months travelling in Thailand.The victim told the hearing: “He knew exactly what he was doing and he wasn’t sleeping. He was looking at me, I saw he was looking at me.”He must have been looking at me to see if I was awake. He did move very quickly once he saw that I was awake.”The girl alerted a member of cabin crew and went crying to the back of the plane.In a statement Das said later: “I may have touched accidentally – but I didn’t touch her intentionally.”Prosecuting Holly Holden said: “In this case the victim has zero motivation to make a false claim. Her evidence has been consistent and credible throughout. This was an 18-year-old flying alone. She said that the defendant touched her between the legs over her clothing.”One person sitting next to another may jostle someone with their elbow but to touch them between the legs without knowing is a deliberate action. He gave two versions of events and said he was very concerned that this could prevent him from getting a UK visa and would destroy his life.”During the hearing Das’ wife of 23 years said she had “complete faith in her husband” and added: “I have had no concern. Until today I have faith in my husband and still today I have total faith in my husband.”She also told the court that Das told her following the flight that if he saw the girl and her mother he wanted to talk to them to apologise.Das’ lawyer Miss Ellie Akhgar said: “This man has no previous convictions, so why would he now decide to take the plunge into criminality and sexually assault a stranger on a plane, with his wife sat next to him. One person sitting next to another may jostle someone with their elbow but to touch them between the legs without knowing is a deliberate actionHolly Holden “He is a family man and a visitor to this country and has been here for the last three months. These cases are always very difficult cases. They are difficult, emotive and very highly charged.”You have seen the victim to be emotional and you have seen the defendant also becoming very emotional. But the fact is that emotion can be manufactured. She feels a rubbing sensation, a light rubbing sensation and she feels an arm moving away from that very tight constricted area.”She doesn’t say: ‘What the hell are you doing?’ This is a young woman who had been travelling to Thailand for two months. She would have had to have some degree of confidence – enough to say something to Mr Das.”Being awoken by the ‘sensation’ of sexual assault does not mean a sexual assault took place. The whole time she says nothing. This was a very, very long flight and this man is being scrutinised for fidgeting.”The mother of the victim went to work the very same afternoon as her daughter told her of the attack. She was described as being very calm from hearing that her daughter had just been sexually assaulted.”It is easy for a man of his age and his culture to apologise – he wanted to calm the waves in a turbulent sea of confusion. He apologised because he wants to fix what it is he has done wrong. This is a case of a very serious misunderstanding. Very serious misunderstandings can happen.”Das was granted conditional bail pending sentence on October 27.